Wednesday, December 21, 2011

What Ever Happened to Baby Jennifer (Lawn)?

The only bit of information about her on IMDb reads: "Attended Tulane University" (the field of study is not even hinted at...). Under her Filmography, there is only one title: "Sophie's Choice"... This is all that remains from a very impressive performance of 1982, by a little girl whose name was Jennifer Lawn. Those who first saw the famous "choice" scene toward the end of the film, where the Academy Award winner Meryl Streep was holding terrified little Jennifer in her arms, must have foreseen a bright future for this kid actress who might easily fool the viewers into believing that she was actually living the scene, rather than just acting it!

"A future Oscar winner in the arms of a present one", one might have prophesied back in 1982. Unfortunately, this prophecy never came true...


5 comments:

  1. She and my sister were roommates at Tulane. I never asked her about it directly, but my impression from my sister was that Jennifer actually did think she was being taken away to a horrible fate, since she was too young to really understand acting and movies. That scene made such a strong impression on her that she never acted again.

    Her undergrad degree is in mathematics and I'm pretty sure she works for an insurance company now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks "D", I really appreciate this piece of information! I still think of her as a great talent, and it is unfortunate that, due to this mistreating of her at that movie, her acting career was cut short. As a physicist, though, I am happy that she is a fellow scientist and I'm sure she is doing a great job in her professional career. (If I am not mistaken, she is the vice-president of the company you refer to, and one of the distinguished people of NY!)

      Delete
  2. i just came across this so my response is wayyyy dated but...i previously worked as an actuary and sat for an exam seminar in NYC back in early 2000. jennifer and i had lunch together several times and went out one evening for some drinks. she was very kind and showed me around part of the city that evening. she did tell me she was not acting in that scene as was stated above. quite an impressive person. she speaks several languages fluently and was supremely intelligent in my opinion. i believe she is a VP of a large insurance company. at the time i expected nothing short of a very successful career and i think she's more than accomplished that. so cool that i was 1 degree of separation from meryl streep!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly I don't care if this was a movie, I call that scene downright child abuse

    ReplyDelete